Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dr. Drunk Ruins It For Everyone

Ahh, the Mix Tape. Where would the world be without them? I used to love making them back in the day so, for experimentation purposes, we're going to try something a little different these next couple days. What follows today is two discs full of some of my all time favorite bands doing some of my all time favorite songs from some of my all time favorite records. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to download and listen. If this sort of thing doesn't work for you, just let me know. I'll try to curb it in the future. But I strongly advise you at least give it a listen... Doctors' orders!

Disc 1

Disc 2

4 comments:

  1. Yay for mixed tapes! I like to pick the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Doc, very nice compilation of stuff here! Like any good mixed tape, it's about 70% familiar kick-ass tunes / 30% stuff I'd never heard of that was just as good. You've definitely hit all the high notes with this, some bang-on (like Big Black's Kerosene) and others that just miss being my fav songs from the band / album (like Suicidal's War Inside My Head - I would have picked almost anything from their original S/T instead).

    Coolest new stuff for me: Life Sentence - Punks For Profit & Sheer Terror - Just Can't Hate Enough. Will be doing some definite followup research here.

    Biggest insights: Government Issue - No Way Out & Mentors - Going Through Your Purse. First of all, who the hell is singing this GI song? It's obviously not the guy from Boycott Staab, doesn't even sound like the same damn band - it's much better! And this is a halfway decent Mentors song too!

    Favorite overall: Marginal Man - Marginal Man. I used to have this punk dude who lived a couple houses down who would make me mixed tapes back in the mid-late 80's. The problem was, he never had tracklists with any of them, so while I might have loved the songs, I never had a clue of the band or the song title. It's basically been a 25 year scavenger hunt to figure things out - this is one of the ones I had forgotten all about, and I finally got it about 2 months ago. I've always thought it was pretty well done, it's got some feel to it instead of just speed & screaming.

    Anywho, thanks again Doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! Now that, my friend, is a review. Thanks for that. Glad you (mostly) enjoyed it. I'll probably pop these up periodically because, hell I enjoy it! And finally, that IS John Stabb singing on the first GI 7". Take it easy!!

      Delete